Sunday, August 24, 2008

Loss



I have a small creek bed in back of my house, and along it grow these trees. I have a couple of them and my next door neighbor has close to a dozen. He told me they are shag bark walnuts. Two years ago, he lost a huge one in a storm. Fortunately, it fell away from his house. Last year, I lost my largest, which had to come down because of a split down the middle. In a storm this afternoon, he lost another, which missed his house by only a few feet.

I don't know what the deal is with these. Maybe they have a limited life span and they are reaching the end of it. They all look healthy and strong. Maybe it is the erosion after a heavy rain that carries away parts of my backyard, and the wear and tear of withstanding years of it.

I do know, though, that it is painful to see them spread out on the ground.
walnut.jpg on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: