Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Magnolia X soulangeana



I'm not sure just what it is about this picture, because the composition kind of bites, but there's something about the light that really does it for me. I took it on the kind of day where the sun is just about to go down and the sky is dark and gray, right when the clouds part and suddenly everything the light hits has an orange glow. Just about at the perfect time. Maybe it is because there's so much light going through the petals... it almost seems like there are two light sources.

I have always called these tulip trees, but now that it has leafed out I took a look at the leaves and they aren't the right shape, so I figured it must be a magnolia. Surprisingly, after looking it up it is commonly known as a tulip magnolia, so I guess I wasn't all that wrong.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: