Monday, May 19, 2008

Alchemilla vulgaris




The Lady's Mantle is about to come into full bloom. If I were ranking plants, this one would be close to the top of the list. I'm not sure exactly why that is. It could have a lot to do with the color, which is just about the perfect foil to the Japanese Maples. The flowers themselves are unspectacular, almost bordering on ugly, but their chartreuse color combined with the soft, blue green tint of the foliage in the shadows makes me go mmmmmm. Equally mmmmmm inducing is the unparalleled way water droplets collect on the hairy leaves. AND!!! They are self-sowing. Finally. Six years = about freakin' time.

This, I think, is the beginning of the week or so when the garden is at its best, before the dreaded Stella d'Oros become my nemesis. Oh, how I hate those f*$%@#s. They have their virtues... the grassy foliage is among my favorite, but the color of the flowers is lame. Some day they will all end up on the compost heap. Or exiled across the bridge to the back backyard. Or with their stems cut off right before their fleshy, make-me-want-to-puke-orange, in need of daily deadheading flowers begin to open, turning my garden into something that resembles the entrance landscaping of a Shell station.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: