Monday, June 23, 2008

Welcome Guests

There is something I love about finding a snake living in my garden. First off, snakes are, simply put, awesome. Secondly, the fact that I have helped to make a habitat that some reptile wants to call home is very satisfying. And my kids love snakes. The excitement of catching one and then adjusting to holding it, and calming it down as it wriggles between your fingers for a few minutes before carefully placing it back in its habitat is quite an experience.

If I were ranking cool things you find living in your yard, a snake is right up there with frogs, a notch above salamanders and toads.

Not cool, however, is looking in you wheelbarrow after lifting and dividing a huge clump of grass and finding half a snake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remind me to tell ya'll the following snake stories:
1.When Grandpa opened, or tried to, the garage door. (Dead snake)
2.When this house was reroofed and it was discovered to be the place where every local snake within 5 miles came to shed their skin. (Probably alive snakes)
3. When I was moving bricks into my truck to place around a planting bed and in taking them out released a very upset snake. (very alive snake)

Mom